Thursday, October 8, 2009

I'm Early, Now What?

All of the chefs I know, both family and paid professionals, can only meet their own and constituent expectations by planning and preparing for the event(s) ahead. Whether family meals, parties or a daily influx of new and returning patrons, they need to know who will or might be joining them. My most vivid example of extreme chef preparation and flexibility occurred earlier this year when one of my normal venues for my Sterling Bank Women's Business Initiative luncheons failed to notify the chef when the date of our event changed. Their internal change order reflected a day of the week/calendar date mismatch and they internally resolved the discrepancy without consulting me. I was traveling from out-of-town and thankfully arrived very early the morning of our luncheon. In fact, I was a day earlier than the chef and staff were expecting me. We had a challenge to create a positively, memorable event rather than making apologies and experiencing a bomb. There could have been enormous negative ramifications. My mind raced to determine what "big kid happy meals" I could procure, deliver and position (explain) with only 2 hours notice. Thankfully, this experienced, professional chef always plans ahead. And I'm the only one (plus a few trusted Sterling Bank colleagues) who know that we were so close to delivering an unexpected contingency option.

This successful event, delivered, despite severe challenges was only possible because a professional chef plans ahead.

2 comments:

  1. Pam, I certainly agree. We do over 1,000 events a year, most of them multiple days, with the majority coming to us with less than two weeks notice. And weekly there is the "Help, my event is day-after-tomorrow!" call. Lack of budget I can understand. Lack of planning still perplexes me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott,
    And you do your 1000+ events beautifully!
    Cheers,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete