Monday, June 28, 2010

Wisdom from the (S)ages

In addition to my older relatives, I love all that I've learned from my other special elders:

Mr. Mac:
  • People matter more than things. (He always cheerfully greeted everyone.)
  • Small can be extraordinary.  (He had penny candy in his corner grocery.)
  • When you realistically trust others you will be rewarded. (He had credit accounts for groceries.)
  • Sales tax doesn't discriminate.  (I saved my pennies to buy a 29 cent pair of sunglasses when I was 6 years old.  When I made my purchase, I was made aware that sales tax was added to every purchase.)
  • Big (empty) boxes (toilet paper, etc.) yield countless hours of pleasure.  We made incredible creations using Mr. Mac's big boxes.
  • Family is broader than birth.  We didn't realize for many years that Amy and Beth weren't our cousins.
Mrs. Hayden:
  • There's always time to visit.
  • Friendship can transcend age and distance.
Miss Gray:
  • We also benefit when we help others achieve their goals.
  • Learning what we are not passionate about propels us to discover what matters.
  • Communicating with older friends keeps us connected.
  • I am not a pianist. Practice and passion are required to perfect musical ability. However, reading and appreciating classical music are life skills that I treasure.
  • Creating our own annual stage allows us to celebrate many successes.
Mrs. Craig:
  • Age is just a number.
  • Staying active keeps us young.
  • There are certain things that I cannot physically do.
  • I can do things that those older than I am cannot.
  • Family includes genetics and preferences.
Mr. Condry:
  • The workplace recognizes role v. age.  Do what you are hired to do.
  • Mentors help.
  • Results rule.
  • Presentations can make or break.
  • Everyone needs someone to respect them.
  • When we are willing to learn, we also teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment