Thursday, July 2, 2009

How Do You Measure Success?

Swimming laps tonight provided me a change of perspective. I wish I could say that I enjoy exercise, but alas, that is not the case. I do, however, enjoy swimming. My nature is to set and exceed goals. I realized tonight that this sabotages my exercise objectives. Though I enjoy swimming, I assigned 100 lap objectives to my swimming. If I didn't have time to accomplish 100 laps, it discouraged me from swimming. A simple change of perspective will lead me to a healthier life. Rather than counting each lap as a percentage of the 100 self-imposed laps, I decided to count each lap as improving my health by 1%. Now, if I'm interrupted at 60 laps, I'll know that I'm 60% healthier than if I'd not gotten in the pool (and not a D student at 60% of 100). It worked exceptionally well. I was interrupted at x # of laps. Rather than trying to determine how many laps I'd completed, I started over. I completed 100 +++++ laps.

Hope you also begin to measure success incrementally.

No comments:

Post a Comment