Friday, September 18, 2009

What Did You Think I Meant?

How many misunderstandings are simply that? I said or wrote "X" and you heard, read or expected "Y". One of the detriments of multi-tasking and 24x7x365 technology connectedness is skimming. We have a recipe for misunderstanding when:

"we are receiving 100+ emails daily, which are added to our phone calls and required callbacks, and overlayed with our already tightly scheduled meetings and impending deadlines, yet interrupted by stop-by colleagues and client visits."

Sometimes we feel/think/expect that super-human responsiveness is required. Actually, we all need time to decompress, think, advise and respond. My experience has been that it works best when I communicate a realistic and achievable timeline to a client, and then meet or exceed that due date.

What did you think I meant when I said "......"?

No comments:

Post a Comment