Sunday, May 31, 2009

Reinventing Ourselves

How often I have remarked that I really did learn everything I needed to know at home and in kindergarten:
1. Love your brother and neighbor
2. Treat others as you want to be treated
3. Cut and paste is as relevant to business as it is to arts and crafts

As we think about reinventing ourselves I’m going to focus on seven aspects of our lives, seven H’s: Head, Heart, Hands, Health, Humor, History and Home.

Head – What else do you need to know in order to do what you want to do? What stimulates you intellectually? When I wanted a new intellectual challenge I tackled law school. Though I’ve never practiced, I’ve learned invaluably from this educational pursuit. How are you challenging yourself? Understand how you see yourself and how others see you. You can use an instrument as formal as 360 feedback document. You can use a method as simple as asking valued friends.

Learn to accept the things about you that you can’t change. I have finally accepted the fact that I will never be tall. Learn to accept the things around you that you can’t change. Accept that you can only change yourself and the way you respond to others. You can’t change anyone else.

Learn from everyone you meet. Cab drivers and CEOs both have fascinating stories and lessons to share.

Think of three things you know how to do well.

Heart – What are your passions? How are you pursuing them? What did you enjoy doing as a child? Family, friends, faith and my community have my heart. There will never be enough time or money to successfully address the many needs in our community. Prioritizing those areas that touch your heart will allow you to have the biggest impact. Think of three things you love.

Hands – What are you going to do to make a difference in the lives of others? How are you reaching out to others? Who can help you? Who can you help? You cannot do it all! I’ve realized that children’s issues, education and Houston are causes that I relate best to so I’ve committed time, money and energy for them. Think of three people in whose lives you’ve made a difference.

Health – An ounce of prevention truly is worth a pound of cure. Mental, physical and spiritual health is important to well-being. Make time for yourself every day. I, too, am and working wife, mother and community volunteer.. Light a candle. Pray or meditate on your way to work. Read a book on the exercise bike (multi-tasking at its best!) I like to make each moment count at least twice.

Set realistic objectives rather than impossible dreams. I will never be an opera singer, but it is realistic that I could join a chorus of Happy Birthday with others. Simple goals – I set mine to read 12 books the first year and was able to read 25.

Think of three things you’d like to change or do better.

Humor – Can you laugh at yourself? Do you laugh often? I have gotten laryngitis several times and my laugh is what my co-workers ay they miss most. Laugh at least three times per day!

History – What have you done? How do you wish to be remembered? I want most to be remembered as a loving person of impeccable character who gave it her best and made a difference. Think of three things you are proud of.

Home – Is your home your haven? Are you enjoying your possessions? I always have my cocktails in a Baccarat glass with a pressed linen napkin, whether or not we have guests. Think of three things you love most about your home.

What would you like to change? In 3 weeks, you can form a new habit.

I’ll leave you with these final three thoughts:
Appreciate the little things – the many colors of green in the foliage on the way to work

Adopt an Attitude of gratitude – appreciation for a job well done or simple acts of kindness.

Expect good things – and they will happen

No comments:

Post a Comment