Monday, May 28, 2012

First View of Circle of Life

Saturday was an emotional day as many of us attended a memorial service at noon and a wedding at eight.  The same minister officiated for both of these life events at the same church.  The bride's father served as an honorary pallbearer for a friend on the same day that he presented their lovely daughter in marriage.  Though I've been to countless weddings and funerals, this was my first time to attend one of each on the same day. 

At the wedding reception, I was stunned to learn from a friend, who graduated from college in 2010, that she had attended both her first wedding and first funeral that day since my slightly younger daughter and son have attended several weddings and funerals.  It reminded me that we often incorrectly assume that others share our experience and perspectives.   It's helpful to remember that the chance to share firsts with others is ever present.

No comments:

Post a Comment