Friday, May 3, 2013

I Added Balance by Abandoning a Bad Book

It's generally my nature to finish things that I start, so it was a big deal when I decided (this week) not to invest any more time in a book that had been recommended, but was not adding value to my life.  As an avid reader, this is only the third time I remember consciously deciding to quit reading a book that was "bad" compared to what I was expecting.  Two were novels, and this week, it was a book about life balance.  Rather than giving me practical tips about how to achieve this illusive goal, it presented the reasons that balance is so difficult.

I don't need scholarly research to remind me of the many things that impede life balance.  My simple take-away from this experience, is that sometimes we gain more balance when we say "no" to something someone else has determined might be helpful.  Listening to our own intuition is an important step in reducing stress and better juggling life's opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment