Friday, November 4, 2011

Silent Treatment

Don't disengage your folks with the silent treatment.  When you ask an associate to represent the organization with media, community organizations or elected officials - support them when they do!

I once participated in a company sponsored media interview that appeared on the front page of the Sunday Houston Chronicle business section.  Though I received numerous positive mentions from friends,  associates, colleagues and my boss, others who should have weighed in were conspicuously absent.

I could easily have wall-papered the organization, sending the feedback from this company initiated interview to everyone who might need to know (or matter to my career), but I didn't.  This was probably a mistake, in a very hierarchical organization.

Sometimes doing the right thing unjustly invokes the silent treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment