Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Just Do Something

Today was a wide-awake at 2:00 a.m. after falling asleep at 11:00 p.m. day.  I'd become overwhelmed with everything on my plate and couldn't quiet my mind to get some much needed sleep.  I finally quit fighting sleeplessness and got up to start taking action on some of the many things on my to do list.  After tackling aspects of several projects, I felt enormously better. Though I don't take naps, I'm aware of the restorative value many receive from napping, and decided at 5:30 that a 30 minute nap might change the day's dynamics. 

Just doing two somethings made a tremendous difference in my day's stress and success:
  • Getting up and addressing issues when conventional wisdom would prescribe sleeping
  • Taking a 30 minute early morning nap after using sleeping hours to work
It would be foolish to health damaging for me to advocate this as a schedule.  However, recognizing our stresses and just doing something, even unconventional, about them can reduce our stress and increase our success.

No comments:

Post a Comment