Friday, May 7, 2010

Old

My precious mother-in-law (deceased) used to refer to herself as "the oldest woman alive".  This was not an indication of any age-related disability, but rather a distinction she claimed because of her multi-generational friends.

As children, we all have different perceptions of what's old.  During elementary school, it might well be any child who's in a grade ahead of ours.  By the time we graduate from high school to enter the adult world of college, our perceptions change.  We realize that college graduates are a step ahead.

When I entered the post-college workforce, very few other fresh college grads were dispersed into a seasoned workforce at AT&T in Houston.  This was my first confirmation that skills and abilities trump tenure and age.

Age soon became irrelevant in the workplace.  Skills, talents and successes crossed age boundaries.

Only when my cherished elders each celebrated their 90th birthdays did I acknowledge that age was more than a state-of-mind, but also a state-of-body.  Though many would peg a much earlier age for old - 90 is my threshold. This is because I have been blessed to share many treasured experiences with many incredible octogenarians.

Like my precious mother-in-law, I enjoy multi-generational friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment