Monday, August 23, 2010

Choices

Think of several people you know well. My guess is that there are differing degrees of decisiveness among your list, as is the case with mine.  I have a friend who wants to evaluate all possibilities before making a choice. By contrast, when I find something I like, I am happy to make that choice and move on. 

Sheena Iyengar, a professor at Columbia Business School, has written a book, The Art of Choosing.  I enjoyed her findings about choosing from a presentation that she made:
  • Some decisions are easier when choices are narrowed.
  • We assume that we know what we want, but don't always recognize our preferences.
  • Happiness comes from wanting what we get.
  • We sometimes make choices contrary to our preferences in order to express our individuality. 
  • When we are seduced by too many possibilities, we may avoid making a decision.
I've often said that everyone wants options.  The ability to choose is energizing and liberating.  However, unlimited choice can be paralyzing.

No comments:

Post a Comment