Monday, August 16, 2010

What Time is It?

I had intended to set my alarm clock for 5:20 a.m. to be able to leave for the airport by 6:30.  I hopped out of bed as the alarm rang, expecting plenty of time for my morning routine.  Things had to accelerate when I realized it was actually 6:00 a.m. Though I made the necessary adjustments to make the flight, I puzzled all day how I could have mis-set my alarm clock for the first time ever. 

The mystery was finally solved as I was setting the alarm for the next day's activities.  The alarm had been properly set.  However the actual time displayed on the clock was off by 40 minutes.  That clock is only used as an alarm, not for checking time. 

My near miss of an important business obligation reminded me that when tackling anything important, making assumptions is risky.  Accurately assessing the starting point is critical in order to take the necessary steps to smoothly proceed.  And, this was another vivid reminder that by allowing more time than expected to complete a task, unexpected contingencies can be accommodated.

No comments:

Post a Comment