Saturday, June 13, 2009

Cast Again

Try doing something different. You’ll remember how important preparation, practice, patience and persistence are to success.

I recently had a most remarkable time accompanying my husband and son on a fishing trip. They are both accomplished anglers. I am not. As I tried ineptly to process their instructions, I was vividly reminded that just because steps have been delivered by an expert, they have not necessarily been processed by a novice. When something is easy for us, we often incorrectly assume that we can tell someone how to do it and our job is finished. Reality proves that practice is the only way to improve a skill. My casting improved dramatically as I tried time after time.

They caught and released many fish during our two day trip. I caught a single fish each day. Casting, choosing baits, rigging lines, setting hooks and reeling in the catch were very natural for them. Each step was a new and awkward process for me. Fishing is an endeavor that clearly demonstrates that practice yields improved performance.

I’ve always considered myself an eternal optimist. As I caught a bit of their fishing fever, I realized that fishermen are truly optimists. Cast after cast, they always believe that the next fish may be a record.


All great fishermen know the importance of preparation, practice, patience and persistence. So do great business people.

Got to go cast/call again…

1 comment:

  1. Pam - Love this entry. I enjoyed reading about your personal observations about fishing, optimism, and patience. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete