Saturday, June 27, 2009

Confidence

I don't remember why I agreed to participate. I remember everything else very clearly.

A small town beauty pageant and loving mother changed my perspective.

It was the day before the pageant. My dress was beautiful. This was no big deal. I'd walk across the stage and it would be over quickly. Whatever happened, I'd be okay.

My wonderful mother issued a most important condition to my participation. Unless I learned to walk slowly with poise and confidence, I couldn't be in the pageant.

Until that moment, it never occurred to me how important posture and carriage are to others' perception of us. Nor did I fully realize that when we agree to do something, we need to do it to the best of our ability.

My mother's imitation of my quick, slumping walk vibrantly contrasted with her slow, elegant and confident pace got my attention.

Confidence won the crown that evening. Thank you, Mama!

No comments:

Post a Comment