Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Exhilaration

It's amazing that a few seconds can change terror to exhilaration.

Professionals always make tasks look simple. Watching the instructors rappel from the cliff was no exception.

At the top of the cliff we were asked who would be #1. An experienced team member volunteered. After a second experienced colleague said that she'd be #2, we'd reached a position I felt okay claiming, #3. The self assignment of order continued. I was feeling a bit less nervous as I thought "after I see Bill and Nancy do this it won't be so intimidating." Surprise! Numbers 1 and 2 were holding the lines. Number 3 was the first to rappel. Either of my brave, experienced friends would have traded positions with me, but I kept my commitment to be the first off the cliff.

I still remember the fear I felt as I stood facing my colleagues and took that big step backward into the unknown. Seconds later, everyone in our entire group stopped what they were doing as my exhuberant yelp of glee pierced the air. Though I recall the fear, I much more clearly remember the exhilaration. Had I not overcome my fear, I wouldn't have the more meaningful, motivating experience and memory.

Doing different things and simply doing things differently may bring temporary discomfort. But you may be one step closer to exhilarating success.

No comments:

Post a Comment