Friday, March 4, 2011

Two Negatives Make a Positive

Yesterday a lunch meeting that I'd scheduled a month ago canceled (first negative).  Rather than taking this found time to grab a salad from Grace's deli in the building and work through lunch, I sent a message to 3 colleagues asking if they were available for a spontaneous lunch.  They all responded instantaneously and two were available. 

Just after we'd ordered lunch, our previously unavailable colleague arrived because her lunch appointment also canceled (second negative).  The two of us, who had the canceled engagements, immediately caught up with a recent career change that a mutual friend outside the company had made.  This led to an admission from my friend that this was the kind of opportunity that she would love to have.  I mentioned a similiar opportunity that I knew about at another organization that my colleague considered perfect (positive). 

I had not mentioned the job to my friend because she had not previously expressed an interest in this area.  As a result of a lunch meeting that overcame multiple obstacles to occur, a talented friend and organization that I admire have the opportunity to connect.

No comments:

Post a Comment