Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Pretty Woman Syndrome

One of my favorite movie scenes is the reappearance of Julia Roberts in the snooty Rodeo Drive stores when she has unlimited purchasing power. 

When one makes purchasing assumptions based upon the buyer's appearance or knowledge rather than treating every interested party as a valued prospect, major opportunities are lost.

I was privileged to grow up in an unpretentious small town. My family had the chance to build businesses beginning with heavy construction. I vividly remember two stories of overalls-clad individuals being approached. In the first, my Dad asked a farmer on a tractor to whom he should present a bill for work they had completed. Surprisingly, this affluent farmer was working his own field and paid cash from his bib pocket for a sizeable invoice.

Another overalls-clad farmer appeared in an equipment dealership inquiring about a particular tractor. Because of his appearance as a man of meager means, he was not treated well. He subsequently purchased a large fleet elsewhere.

Years ago, I called a specialty car dealership on behalf of an out-of-state "cash-in-hand" buyer for an in-demand vehicle.  Because I wasn't on a waiting list or knowledgeable about the vehicle, I didn't even receive the courtesy of a follow-up call.   Bet if I called today, I'd be treated as royalty!

I wish everyone treated others as they wish to be treated. More friendships, business relationships and pleasant interactions would result.

No comments:

Post a Comment