Saturday, December 12, 2009

Sea of Red Lights

I have all of the advantages of living in a major U.S. city.  We have access to world-class arts, restaurants and medicine and have an economy that has fared far better than the rest of the nation.  Our cost of living is superior to most metro areas.  And generally, though I am out and about a lot, I rarely have traffic problems.  I've always been blessed to live close to work.  In fact, years ago when asked about working for a wonderful company that I admired, my response was that it was "GU".  My definition of GU was geographically undesirable.  Fifteen - twenty minute travel time has been my benchmark, which I've been most fortunate to have experienced during my entire career.  Often, I've enjoyed 5-10 minute commutes, which few expect to find in a major city.

So, when I am caught on a freeway in rush hour traffic, as I was this week, and see only a sea of red tail lights, I experience anxiety.  My assumption is that those who experience daily delays find multiple coping strategies, including books on tape, programmed calls to contacts and self-imposed think time.

A trip that takes me 12 minutes for morning meetings took me 37 minutes this evening. Regardless of the time involved, if you triple the commute, it's significant.

My hat is off to those of you who endure daily seas of red lights.  You are far more patient than I am.  I'd love to know your stress-reducing actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment