Friday, December 11, 2009

Share Your Talents

According to Volunteering in America, 61.8 million Americans (26.4% of the adult population) volunteered between 2006 and 2008, and the average time volunteered was 34.7 hours.  Eight billion hours were volunteered, with a value of $162 Billion (using Independent Sector's volunteer rate of $20.25).  Imagine what an enormous difference we could make just by boosting volunteer involvement!

Volunteering has been an expectation for as long as I can remember.  It was role modeled for me as a child.  Though I've put heart and soul into many volunteer activities, I've generally felt that I gained far more than I contributed.  However, positive feedback from beneficiaries has confirmed that it is very much a two-way street.  I've often categorized volunteer involvement and contributions as "enlightened self-interest".  Both are good for the individual/corporation and the non-profit.

Though I've engaged with many fabulous non-profits through the years, I'm currently most engaged as the Vice-Chairman of DePelchin Children's Center, Board Member at Alley TheatreHouston Better Business Bureau and  Greater Houston Women's Chamber of Commerce.  I also love serving as an advisory board member for Junior League of Houston and Houston Technology Center and as the Corporate Advocate for March of Dimes and the corporate host for blood drives at 8 week intervals as a 6+-gallon donor for the Blood Center. I loved my American Leadership Forum experience where I am a Senior Fellow and former board member. I'm also an active advocate for SEARCH, Center for Houston's Future, Girl Scouts and BioHouston. And with my family, we lead an usher team at Palmer Memorial Episcopal Church.

Perhaps I'm over-committed to these marvelous organizations, but I only engage with organizations that I believe are making a difference.  My full level of engagement will illuminate for other non-profits who seek my involvement that when I respond, "I cannot take on one more commitment", I am providing a true assessment. 

If you are not currently an engaged volunteer, please find an organization that will value your time, talent and  treasure.

4 comments:

  1. Pam -

    What a great message to remind us all of the value of volunteering. With the economic challenges of today it is a low cost way to give individually or as a family. Wishing you and yours a wonderful holiday season.

    - alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex,
    Thank you so much for taking time to read and comment! Hope you have a joyous Christmas and wonderful New Year!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be reminded to include spouses and household loved ones into the volunteer decision. Each contributes time and support for " I've got your back " volunteering efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said! It truly is a family affair!

    ReplyDelete