Sunday, December 27, 2009

Oh No, My Toe

There's nothing like a deadline to make me realize that I can only control so many elements, and ultimately I'm not in charge.  

I woke up early on 12/23. Every minute was pre-allocated.  There were many presents to wrap and deliver, plus some yet to acquire.  I was looking forward to making treats for our neighbors.  The Mistletoe Ball was scheduled for 8:00 p.m.  And our Arkansas departure was set for 4:00 a.m. on 12/24. There were also a couple of work deadlines to cram into my vacation schedule.

My perfectly crafted plan did not allow for 3 1/2 hours at Baylor Family Medicine.  My little toe lost a battle with Julia's suitcase and looked like it was taking a permanent left turn.  All personal attempts to put it back in place were futile, and the swelling added to the sense of emergency.  Thankfully, x-rays confirmed my guess that it was dislocated rather than broken.

After realigning my toe, the medical staff seemed surprised when I asked how soon I could wear heels.  Their 3-4 week timeline didn't match my 3-4 hour requirement. 

Though the day went haywire, enough was accomplished.  I like to celebrate at least 12 days of Christmas. Hope my neighbors will too!

No comments:

Post a Comment