Thursday, January 28, 2010

Revolutionizing Sight

Contact lenses revolutionized life for people like me.  I got my first pair of glasses in the 4th grade.  The standards when I was a child required you to be 13 to get contact lenses.  There wasn't a "maturity factor" option to get an earlier contact lens prescription.  I impatiently counted the days until I could get contacts.

Though a respected ophthalmologist, who examined me, insisted that "putting contact lenses on your eye to restrict additional vision impairment" was like "putting a hat on your head to keep you from growing",  contact lenses were a godsend for me.  My vision was regressing each year before I started wearing contacts.  My vision has shown remarkably little degradation since I became a contact lens wearer.

Technological advancements have vastly improved contact lenses.  For many years, I wore hard contacts.  There was a lengthy period of increasing your wearing time, over a period of days or weeks, to allow your eye to adjust to this foreign object.  Of course, today, any contact lens wearer leaves the prescriber's office with a comfortable lens, that needs little to no adaptation time.  Today's technology comparison of my first lenses, to those others and I now wear, would probably be equivalent to using a typewriter versus enjoying the benefits afforded by laptops and smart phones.

How thankful I am that brilliant, entrepreneurial researchers continue to enhance the ways that we all see the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment