Thursday, January 14, 2010

How Do You Get to ...?

When you ask for the best way to get to a particular location, you'll generally get two different answers from my husband and me.  We will both get you to the intended location.  And we each feel that ours is the best route.  "Best" is subjective.  His way is best for him and mine is best for me because we each feel that our way is quickest or least subject to traffic delays.  Our individual routes give us a feeling of control over ever-changing variables.

So often we get caught up in the unimportant mechanics of how something is accomplished rather than celebrating the myriad paths that lead to success. 

This year I'm going to try to remember that when I'm literally driving or driving a project I get to choose the path.  When someone else is at the helm, I need to enjoy the alternate route and be an enthusiastic participant in the journey.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I'm going to bite on this one.... We are fortunate to live in an area of Houston with comparatively easy access to major thoroughfares. I prefer to travel Richmond Avenue to the West 610 Loop. Our much beloved Blogger prefers to travel Westheimer to hop on the Loop. The distance to the Loop via each route is essentially the same. We each must traverse an annoyingly busy RR track! Blogger must endure four (4) traffic control intersections, lights, and I must suffer only one. Hence my devotion to my routing! I also avoid entanglement in one of the busiest intersections in the nation and the ubiquitous red light cameras attendant thereto.

    ReplyDelete