Monday, February 8, 2010

50% Chance of Success

Last week I had the opportunity to spend time with a sales guru as we discussed an upcoming paid engagement.  As we were finishing our discussion, I enouraged him to consider an organization that I care deeply about when he chooses to deliver another gratis presentation.  He was intrigued by the opportunity to address a new target audience, and agreed to the engagement.  Though I only had a 50% chance of success with my request, I seized the opportunity.  I had a 100% chance of failure without asking. 

This was a needed reminder that often when we think we are simply asking for favors, we are presenting a valued opportunity for the potential provider to expand his or her network.  Positioned correctly, our colleagues may actually be thankful to us for the endorsement we provide when we give them access to a new forum.  When we put another's interests at the forefront we can create tremendous opportunities for mutual benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment