Thursday, February 11, 2010

Gracious Celebrity

Many years ago Edgar and I were visiting with Rice University alumni at a popular destination, Kay's Lounge. All the Rice alums knew one another, and I was delighted to get to know Edgar's friends and classmates.  As I was introduced to an athletic, friendly young man, I unknowingly asked the question, "Did you play football for Rice?" (Unbeknownst to me, he played in the NFL.)

He graciously answered, "Yes, he did."

Only because of the grief I later received from others who were present, did I realize that a sports celebrity had chosen to be an ordinary guy that evening.  He chose not to embarrass me for my lack of recognition.

My only conversation with NFL quarterback, Tommy Kramer, was a million years ago, in instantaneous communication time.  However, with all the posturing that generally occurs with celebrities, all these years later, I still applaud Tommy Kramer's graciousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment