Sunday, March 21, 2010

Love of Learning

At breakfast this week, a discussion reminded me of a devastating experience in fourth grade.  My teacher told me if I did x, I'd get an A.  I did x and she gave me a B.  I was uncontrollably upset.  When my dear Mother asked about the situation, the teacher admitted that she'd given me a B because she knew that I could do better.  She was correct.  I could have done better.  However, I'd done just what she'd outlined to earn an A.   In her misguided way, I think she was trying to instill a love of learning and a desire to always live up to my potential.  Though I learned these important lessons along the way, it's only with many years hindsight that I can forgive her for misleading me and attribute the positive motive that I assume she intended.  It makes me wonder how often we unintentionally derail a child's natural love of learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment