Thursday, July 9, 2009

Are You Re-Writing the Gettysburg Address?

Early in my career I worked for an individual who made "corrections" to everything I wrote. Some of these "corrections" were grammatically incorrect. I took the editing very personally and began to dread preparing a document that would need his approval. I questioned my ability.

Two incidents changed my perspective.

I overheard two other staff members who had been on the team for quite some time laughing about the "corrections" to one of their documents. They shared a marked-up, edited version of the Gettysburg Address, indicating that the "corrections" had come from our boss.

When my boss was on vacation, I submitted a time-sensitive document directly to the Sales VP. It was approved quickly, with no changes and received very positive feedback. When my boss discovered that his boss liked the way I communicated, the "corrections" diminished, my productivity and attitude improved and my self-confidence returned.

AHA! That's just the way he is! It wasn't about me at all.

There are a million different ways to express an idea. Gettysburg Address caliber documents are rare indeed. Feedback is greatly appreciated when it improves the product, but enormously resented when it is just a slightly different way of conveying the same information.

1 comment:

  1. I suspect the need to edit is often the need to assert control. When the edit is for grammar or clarity, it is welcome. When it is a matter of style, like you, I resent it.

    Patrick J

    ReplyDelete