Friday, July 24, 2009

"No" is a Complete Sentence

So many of my very accomplished friends are stressed by requests to do one more important thing. One of my breakthrough moments is still very vibrant to me. I'd just pulled into my driveway and answered a cell call from a passionate volunteer friend asking me to join her Board of Directors. The friend was committed and the cause was important. When I conscientiously told her that I could not commit to one more activity, she graciously thanked me. The world did not end, the friendship remained intact and I felt a sense of relief. This was a beginning for me in many respects.

I learned that boundaries can be enforced without sacrificing friendships or priorities. I learned that effectively delivering a correct "no" serves everyone well. I learned that I could use this experience to coach others.

I have ongoing opportunities to remind overcommitted associates that "no" is a complete sentence.

Are you saying "no" when you should?

No comments:

Post a Comment