Thursday, November 5, 2009

Amazing Optimism and Creativity

My years as a Junior League volunteer at Texas Children's Hospital are golden.  I was frequently asked how I could go every week without being depressed.  Never did I leave TCH without being grateful that my situation was mine.  Most often, I left incredibly inspired by the amazing children who joined us for weekly craft projects. 

Our method was to invite children who were cleared to leave their floors to join us to create a craft project.  We were often blown away by children who were only hours out of serious surgeries who joined us.  And we had the joy of developing relationships with precious patients who battled chronic or terminal illnesses.  Their outlook, realism, optimism and "seize the day" attitudes provided as much or more benefit to the faithful volunteers as did our compassion, commitment and creativity provide to the patients we were fortunate to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment