Monday, November 2, 2009

Right-Sized Spaces

We always had hunting dogs when we were growing up.  When we were quite young, a wonderful doghouse arrived.  It wasn't at all attractive to the dog, but it was a delightful, tiny playhouse. This doghouse, blanket forts, huge boxes from our wonderful neighbor grocer, and isolating an area of the landing at the top of the stairs, allowed us to exercise our imaginations by creating perfect kid-sized spaces.

My fascination with right-sized spaces continues. A few years ago, just after we'd finished construction of our new home, Julia and Gar were scurrying to finish their summer reading on the night before school started.  I didn't want to interrupt them and found my own book to enjoy. Within minutes, they both joined me in the master sitting room, the smallest room in our home.  Now my precious children were exercising their imaginations in the coziness of yet another perfect kid-sized space.

No comments:

Post a Comment