Wednesday, November 18, 2009

I'm Going to Be Tall

"I'm going to be tall when I grow up" became a remark I frequently made through the years among friends endowed and/or obsessed with height.  I didn't think much about it, and I suspect the folks who heard it didn't either. When my precious daughter was 3, she confidently announced that this wasn't going to happen.  She accurately assessed that I was as tall as I was going to be.

Being short has advantages which are not readily visible to those of you who aren't.  We get to move to the front of gatherings because everyone else can easily see over us.  We are on the front row of photos.  We are appreciatively acknowledged as we look up to others regardless of whether they deserve the acknowledgement. And, in a nation obsessed with size, small and petite has become more interesting to others.

Though I have always jokingly alluded to being tall, I'm happy just as I am.  And the more we all come to embrace who we are, the happier we become.

No comments:

Post a Comment