Thursday, June 10, 2010

Just Perfect!

I love it when "just" is used in this manner, to indicate that something is exactly the way it should be.  It's also perfect when denoting a fair, correct action or position.  But the positive meanings have been largely overshadowed by the more commonplace usage, denoting "mere or only", as in I'm just a ______.  Each time I hear someone demean their position with the "just" qualifier, I challenge them to confidently proclaim that I'm a _______.  Every job has worth to the individual performing the task.  And many jobs that make our lives pleasant and easy are jobs that Mike Rowe would categorize as "Dirty Jobs".   Since everything's connected, we all benefit from the labors of so many others. 

When you hear anyone categorize their position as, "I'm just a ________", please join me in challenging them to embrace the difference they are making.

No comments:

Post a Comment