Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Parenting Skills Work

I've been informally polling parents for the past few days to determine if they agree with my theory that their parenting improves their managerial/leadership skills at work.  My unscientific sample yields 100% agreement that the lessons learned in parenting increase workplace effectiveness.

Some parenting lessons that apply to work:
  • Consistency in direction and expectations is required.
  • We learn from all those we treasure as individuals.
  • Delivering an appropriate "no" is as important as delivering a hoped for "yes".
  • "Because I said so" is not a sufficient explanation.
  • Friendship is ideal, but not mandatory.
  • Flexibility is a must.
  • Trust, discretion and confidentiality are essential.
  • No two individuals will think, act, respond or be motivated the same way.
  • Excessive hovering is as damaging as a hands-off approach.
  • A safe haven is necessary to foster differing points of view.
  • Value the person and correct the errant behavior.
  • Fresh perspectives help us stay current and grow.
  • When someone on the home or work team has a crisis, mini-crisis, or important event, we must adapt to accommodate, regardless of what else is going on in our own sphere.
  • The messiness and uncertainty of dealing with  individuals who are special to us provides spice to life.
  • Resistance gives us a chance to learn, query and adapt when we hear:  "I don't want to _________. I don't like ____________. He's/She's not being fair".
I know I'm a better leader because I've had the privilege to parent two amazing children.  How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment