Saturday, June 19, 2010

Do You Really Want to Walk a Mile in Someone Else's Stinky Shoes?

We don't have to do an in-depth analysis to readily discover that generally we'd much rather live our own lives than trade issues with others. We typically wish for media ready aspects of others' lives rather than considering the whole enchilada.  We used to refer to these opportunities as "walking a mile in your shoes".  

There are many reasons for re-choosing our own lives:
  • we love our lives
  • we like our lives better than we like change or uncertainty
  • we know what to expect
  • we consciously made the decisions to create our current environment
  • we know how to deal with our issues
  • we are afraid of the unknown
  • other people's shoes stink
In my many cherished years of volunteering at Texas Children's Hospital, I never left the premises without being profoundly grateful for my blessings and thankful that mine were the only issues I faced.  This sentiment is ever present as I currently spend countless joyful hours at DePelchin Children's Center.

I don't know about you, but I've never really wanted to walk in anyone else's stinky shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment