Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Stupid Loves Company

I try so hard to do the right things all the time. Thus, it negatively rocks my world when I do something incredibly stupid. I am my own harshest critic, so I continually replay everything that I know that I could have done better.

My conversation with my Service Advisor at my car dealership began: "I've done the world's stupidest thing". As I revealed that I had inadvertently removed my new state safety inspection sticker rather than my old state license sticker, I felt 100% less stupid when he admitted that he, too (an expert who deals with cars every day) had done the same thing when dealing with a customer's car.

We never want to think, or worse yet, realize that we are incredibly stupid. When others, whom we respect, have made the same error, we might accept the fact that though we wish we'd been more intentional, at least we are not the stupidest person on the planet.

When someone else admits that they've also done what we consider to be incredibly stupid, we are able to accept that we are among well-meaning human company.  Stuff happens.

I'll now be more intentional with annual matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment