Thursday, July 8, 2010

Odometer Oddities

Mama and I have very different driving patterns. She lives in a small Arkansas town and I’m in Houston, the nation’s 4th largest city. We both purchased new vehicles in different years. I average 8,000 miles per year and she drives even fewer annual miles. As we were driving to visit my nephew’s new home, Edgar mentioned Mama’s odometer reading. Though I rarely pay attention to mine, I’d just had my car serviced the day before we headed to Arkansas, and said, “That’s about the mileage I have, too”. On the way to work this morning, I remembered to check my odometer and asked Mama for her current mileage. Our odometer readings differ by only 38 miles.  Unbelievable!

As is indicated by my blog title, I believe that everything's connected, but never factored odometer readings into the equation.  If this is any indication that I'm becoming my mother, contrary to the usual humor associated with the comment, I'm an extremely lucky individual. 

Today's odometer oddities remind me that our connectedness takes many forms.  When we look for similarities we find them.  And we find differences when we expect them.   I choose to think that Mama's and my 38 mile difference is another indication that we are inextricably, positively connected.

No comments:

Post a Comment