Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Rivalry or Revelry

Though I've unconsciously observed these two extremes with my own siblings and children, the reality of this range of sentiments struck me last week as I joked with two dear colleagues who work closely with one another.  They clearly enjoy working together.  And they cover for one another.  I've often heard them tease about sibling rivalry.  They are in the same position and each wants to exceed performance measurements.  It appears that they clearly realize that they can both excel.  However, just as each child secretly wants to be his or her parent's favorite, they probably each want to be their manager's favorite.  Though they tease about rivalry, what I frequently observe is revelry.  They celebrate each other's successes and enjoy a warm working relationship.  Revelry trumps!

No comments:

Post a Comment