Thursday, April 8, 2010

Who's in Charge?

There's nothing like spring cleaning to make us assess our blessings and the required care and feeding of our possessions. I finally understand why some older friends choose to downsize.  The daily, weekly, monthly and annual maintenance required for things we own can feel like these objects own us.  We need to ask ourselves, at least annually, if we still derive enjoyment from high maintenance things in our lives.

We need to keep things that give us pleasure, benefit or positive expectation.  If we can't anticipate any of these positive possibilities, why keep these possessions?

I know that my continual recycling of things I no longer need creates benefits for others who will enjoy them and will give new life to these items.

I choose to be in charge!

2 comments:

  1. Simplifying is my mission this year, and I suspect, for many years to come. To keep me motivated, I have been reading a book by Sarah Ban Breathnach called Simple Abundance: A Daybook of Comfort and Joy. True to my goal, the book too is simply organized and designed to be read one passage at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please share any tips not to be missed!

    ReplyDelete