Friday, February 4, 2011

Age Is Just a Number

Children can't wait to get older.  Old people wish they could reclaim their youth.  The reality is that age is just a number that we can't change.  What we can change is our attitude about our age.  When we accept the fact that age brings experience, wisdom, memories and perspective, we can more easily embrace our birth certificate as documentation of the beginning of our journey. And it provides proof that we're old enough to enter school, get a driver's license, vote, drink or claim social security benefits.

I vividly remember the first time I lost track of my age.  During a law school class someone asked how old I was.  I didn't realize until well into the class that I'd overstated my age.  Until that point my formal education had always consisted of similarly aged students with an easy barometer for how old we were.  My law school class had students from age 22 to 62.   I'm grateful that I learned years ago that age is just a number.

No comments:

Post a Comment