Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Power of I Don't Know

I've spent most of my life with the expectation that I should know the answers.  Throughout school we are tested on the new information we learn.  And throughout our careers we are expected to know and share information to serve our customers and colleagues. 

In order to continually expand our knowledge and skills we must be willing to admit that there are things we don't know and would like to learn.  Acknowledging that we don't know something can prompt us to research, study, question and connect with others.  Providing others the chance to share knowledge is often a gift to the giver and receiver.  And when we admit that we don't have the expertise, but are able to make a referral to someone who does, we're building networks.

I love knowing the answer, but have also discovered the power of I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment