Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Everyone Matters

Last year, I took an unplanned sabbatical from church.  It probably began as an out of town trip.  This was followed by a decision to not get up and dressed the next Sunday.  Several weeks passed without attending church.  I was still praying every day and sending our monthly pledge, so I assumed no one noticed.  A hand-written note from our rector arrived saying that he missed us.  What an effective way to get me back where I need to be.

Regardless of how many people are part of a group or organization, when we are expected to be present, our absence is felt.   Sometimes, the only encouragement needed to engage or re-engage an individual is a personal communication from someone who is actively involved letting the person who's not participating fully know that his or her contributions are valued.

No comments:

Post a Comment