Wednesday, October 21, 2009

When Do We Get My Uniforms?

When our first child was born, I was blissfully unaware of how very competitive admission to highly selective private schools is in Houston. This is one of the many joys of growing up in a small town where everyone attends public school. Reality sank in as we left her interview for admission to kindergarten.

Often we don't realize how badly we want something until it's something important to and for your child. Success and avoiding disappointment are mutual goals.

As we got into the car after the interview, my precious daughter asked, "When do we get my uniforms?" We'd not made a big deal about the interview and told her we were going to check out a new school. So, I said, "We need to see if you like the school and if they will have room for you in the class" I tried to hide the stress I was suddenly experiencing as she made it crystal clear, "I want to go to school here!". Prior to that declaration, it had merely been something we wanted for her. The stakes were higher now that she wanted it too.

The wait for her good news seemed forever long and so very welcome when it arrived.

This was a vivid reminder that seeking a successful outcome for someone you love and treasure is far more powerful than seeking it for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment