Friday, August 7, 2009

Customer Dis-Service

I received a message from a friendly UPS associate telling me that I could come to the Stafford, TX site at 6:30 to pick up my package. If it hadn't been time-sensitive (Edgar's birthday present) I would have waited for them to deliver on Monday.

I'm the eternal optimist, but I got my first clue that things were not good when I saw the haphazard line and spotted a note posted on the wall that read, "your expected wait may be from 5 minutes to 1 hour". My first thought was, "impossible". How long could it take to retrieve a package?

As I waited to be helped I listened to a man who had driven 70 miles in Friday evening traffic to claim his package. He left empty handed after a very long wait.

When it was finally my turn, I was told that my driver would not be back until 7:30. Frustrated and disappointed, I thought, "oh well I'll grab the package and still be home in time for a family dinner at 8:00".

The facility was understaffed. I'm not making a judgement call - I'm repeating what they told the many waiting customers.

I finally left with present in hand at 8:15 - the last customer waiting, as the center closed for the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment