Saturday, August 15, 2009

Let There Be Light!

I think I finally understand how frogs are boiled in pots of water as the temperature gradually rises. If the temperature changed quickly a frog would jump to safety. However, when the temperature is raised gradually, a frog adapts to the new situation and stays, eventually dying when the temperature gets to an uninhabitable level.

My experience was anything but life-threatening. I was displaced by Hurricane Ike to a new location. Initially thinking it was temporary, I had very simple expectations. As soon as I had a working phone and computer, I was happy. This was my equivalent of the frog's okay temperature. I was fine! I had adjusted to my new environment. As time passed and I hosted numerous visitors to my new office the common remark was "it's so dark in here". Finally, I looked up and around. As I compared my overhead lighting to all the other lighting in the building I realized that I had defective, failing lighting.

As soon as Carlos replaced my defective lighting, I had a normal, bright environment. My plants said "Yippee" and quickly grew several inches. Let my experience be a reminder to quickly respond to constructive feedback. Had I looked up and around sooner, I would have immediately improved my situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment