Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Just Start Talking

Earlier this year, I had a conflict that precluded me from delivering brief remarks at a charity luncheon. It's an annual event that I enjoy and I always welcome the chance to congratulate the honorees. I assumed that any of my colleagues attending would be equally excited about the opportunity. Not so! Fear of public speaking is widespread. I was shocked when the first colleague whom I asked refused, saying that he doesn't speak publicly. Another colleague reluctantly agreed when I promised that the remarks were very short and that I'd share what I had intended to say. After the event, he called to thank me. He'd enjoyed the opportunity and had overcome his initial fear of public speaking.

Everyone has expertise, unique experiences or fascinating stories to share. When you are prepared, sharing these in a public setting provides the opportunity to positively differentiate yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment