Sunday, August 16, 2009

It's Not About Me

My perspective about driving is evolving. So often when I'm behind the wheel I'm rushing to get to work, an appointment, a meal, a plane, a game, an event or home. Each red light, traffic snarl, aggressive driver, slow-poke driver, distracted driver, lane-cutter and obstacle is magnified to increase my angst. I've found myself looking at the clock multiple times at a red light. Pedestrians in the crosswalk when I'm trying to turn seem to move like molasses.

I realize that every other driver and pedestrian is dealing with their own need to get to their next engagement. They are doing the best that they can to manage their journey. Their actions are designed to control their own trip and they are oblivious to me unless my momentary distraction causes them angst.

When I use this captive solitary time to think, plan, pray or listen to music or a book summary my attitude improves and my stress decreases.

No comments:

Post a Comment